[etoys-dev] duplicates and siblings

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Fri Feb 25 01:31:22 EST 2011

Bert wrote:

> There is a tile named "copy".

A very good reason to wait for a major Etoys version (or more) before
acting on Derek's suggestion. (Also, the "tiles to get" popup menu of
that tile calls the copy a "newClone".)

I can't figure out the pedagogical purpose for the "copy" tile.

Can you point me to a project that demonstrates the "copy" tile? (or
documentation on how a student could use it in a real program)

Bert also wrote:

> A difference is that for siblings, "copy" creates another sibling.

Someone please add that to the reference manual at 4.13 Common Tiles
and Menu Items / Miscellaneous / Copy.

Best, David

p.s. Subbu wrote:

> Copy is already used to mean "copy to clipboard" :-(. While the action may be
> suppressed in Etoys mode, it will still lead to confusion.

I think that, from a user's point of view, both a copy pasted from the
clipboard, and a duplicate, work in the same way. Or at least they
should.