[etoys-dev] 4.1.1 problems for older versions of Squeak and Etoys

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Jan 5 10:53:02 EST 2011

On 05.01.2011, at 13:47, <kharness at illinois.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
> There are older projects made using Squeak that worked in 4.0 and do not in 4.1.1
> Using Etoys 4.1.1 on a Toshiba laptop running Windows 7 Home premium and the Firefox browser to access projects in EtoysIllinois.org
>
> for example:
> http://etoysillinois.org/library?sl=81
> The bug report attachment is for this project.This project has a sound file, maybe that is the problem?
> As an experiment to see if I could salvage the project, I download and saved the file, opened it etoys4.0 saved it on my computer and then opened it etoys 4,1,1 and the sound worked as did the script.This is a lot of steps but would at least mean the student's projects would not be lost forever.
>
> another problem:
> Many projects made using Squeak (orange red flaps) show this kind of problem.
> http://etoysillinois.org/library?sl=165
> The navigator bar shows briefly as the project is opening but then only the toggle icon remains. When the toggle is clicked, it relocates to the top left side of the window and no other icons show. I found I could get a halo, use its white menu select the green option and then the gray to make the NavBar icons appear. If I selected the gray option first the NavBar icons did not appear. Beginners will not know to do any of these steps and will just be lost.
>
> Do you plan to have a new version release in April? Will it be possible to fix the problems I have described in that release?
>
> The EtoysIllinois site has over1300 projects, some done as many as 5 years ago, what do you suggest I do about the older projects?  Should I remove them or download them and upload again in the newest version?
>
> Projects from my computer folders (not from the internet) had the same problems.
>
> Any help or advice will be very welcome.
> Regards,
> Kathleen

It's a bug that we thought was fixed but apparently not quite:

http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-868
http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-796

You should not need to re-upload the projects, though I can't promise when a fix will be available. I don't see anyone working on "big" changes so we may just do another 4.1 release with a few fixes as soon as they are ready.