[etoys-dev] Fwd: Calculus discovery by and for young people

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 15:42:01 EST 2011

Start here.

http://www.mathman.biz/html/map.html

http://mathman.biz/html/chapters.html

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 15:23, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> We have the offer of a calculus book for elementary grades. Please
>> take a look at Don's Web site,
>>
>> http://mathman.biz/
>
> Math Myths:
> Don and Jerry have come up with a number of "Math Myths" - things that
> are NOT true - but ideas people, because of ignorance, expedience
> and/or things they were taught, try to shove down their students'
> throats:
> 1. You can't take 7 from 3.
> 2. When you multiply, the answer is bigger.
> 3. You have to add from right to left.
> 4. When you subtract the result is smaller.
> 5. Fractions are small numbers.
> 6. There's only one way to do something.
> 7. When you add the result is bigger.
> 8. When you divide the result is smaller.
> 9. I can't do it unless someone tells me how to do it.
> 10. Math is hard and only a few people can do it.
> 11. You have to know everything about whole numbers before you can do fractions.
> 12. You have to  know algebra before you can learn about calculus.

I can add many more, such as the notions that mathematics is all about
calculations, that it has nothing to do with my daily life, that
infinitesimals have been proven to be impossible, that imaginary
numbers aren't real, and that all of math is entirely and perfectly
true, now and forever, without change.

http://www.earthtreasury.org/