[etoys-dev] sound recording in Ubuntu 11.04 etoys

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun Jun 26 07:25:35 EDT 2011

On 26.06.2011, at 12:34, François Barillon wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use the sound recording tool under Ubuntu 11.04.
>
> Either etoys is freezing when I clic on the "record" button,
> or etoys quits when I clic on the "play" button.
>
> There is what is showed in the terminal :
> ----
> etoys
> sound: /dev/mixer: Erreur d'entrée/sortie
> squeakvm: /build/buildd/squeak-vm-4.0.3.2202/unix/vm-sound-OSS/sqUnixSoundOSS.c :355 : dspOpen:  L'assertion « dsp->fd < 0 » a échoué.
> Abandon
> ----
>
> Do you know how to fix this?

You could try another sound module. What does your "etoys" script look like? In the latest Etoys-To-Go we use this:

# if pulseaudio is running, use it if VM has the driver, or fall back to OSS
if pulseaudio --check 2>/dev/null ; then
    if "$VM" -help 2> /dev/null | grep -q vm-sound-pulse ; then
        VMOPTIONS="$VMOPTIONS -vm-sound-pulse"
    else
        VMOPTIONS="$VMOPTIONS -vm-sound-oss"
        if padsp true 2>/dev/null ; then
            WRAPPER=padsp
        fi
    fi
fi

This prefers PulseAudio over OSS. Older scripts preferred OSS.

You could also try to remove this section and add either -vm-sound-pulse or -vm-sound-ALSA to VMOPTIONS.

Please let us know if you find a working combination!