[etoys-dev] SQ-903 - Object displayed name does not always match name used to refer to object in scripts

Ricardo Moran richi.moran at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 09:34:50 EST 2011

Hi Steve,

I don't think this is a bug. If I understood correctly, the name used to
reference an object in a script is not supposed to be the same as the one
displayed on the screen but a unique name that identifies only this object
in the World. An object's external name can change at any time but the
references to this object must remain consistent in all scripts.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but you can get an object's displayed
name by sending #externalName to the object. See the attached project for an
example.

Cheers,
Richo