[etoys-dev] How can I cause a script to be executed on an object when I click on it? (Beyond MouseDown)

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Tue Mar 29 06:49:09 EDT 2011

For example, I want to some buttons to transform a costume or set an objects
color  and I want to click on the button and then be able to click on an
object (or set of objects) and run a particular script on the objects I
click on.

I could program each object to perform a particular action on Mouse Down,
but I would rather write the script once and then have that script execute
on the object I click.  I was able to achieve this by using a Player
variable watcher and then having a constantly running script that tests if
the myPlayer != dot and if so, run the script on the Player variable value,
then reset to dot. But besides looking ugly (the dot always shows) I can
only run on one object at a time then have to click on the Player variable's
watcher.

Thanks,
Stephen