[etoys-dev] Charts (was: New Graphing Tools)

Ricardo Moran richi.moran at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 20:16:12 EDT 2011

Hi guys, I'm trying again with the graphing tools. It's been a while since I
worked on this (sorry about that) but I really want to see them integrated.

So now I'm following Bert's suggestions and I'm trying with a less general
approach: I'm not introducing a new scale on top of the existing one,
instead I just added a "current object" slot on the number lines, and a
"current object position in chart" slot that transforms from squeak's pixel
to the number line scale and viceversa.

The implementation is much simpler than before but it's more uncomfortable
IMHO. I think it would be best to have two "transform" functions accepting a
number as argument and returning it transformed from one scale to the other.
Unfortunately, it seems Etoys doesn't support this kind of functions nicely,
all the examples I could find (such as #color:sees:) seem to be a little
hacked and I wasn't sure if following that path was the right way to
proceed.

I think the best would be for you to test it and tell me what you think. I'm
attaching a project with the new number lines.
Thanks!

Richo

P.S. I also renamed the project to Charts as Bert suggested