[etoys-dev] About Skeleton

karl ramberg karlramberg at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 15:05:56 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 6:47 PM, Harness, Kathleen
<kharness at illinois.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
> An interesting discussion, and I add my views that parallel some and diverge from others.
>
> More ready-to-use objects may result in a constricted view of Etoys capabilities. More math objects will make it seem like it is most appropriate for mathematics but my impression is that mathematicians already have set their curriculum and resist taking what appears to be a lateral digression into programming. Also, most current textbooks include interactive materials that school districts expect will be used. We can't compete.
>
> It is easy to drag in digital images and sound files already. It is easy to save projects full of specific objects for any number of routine classroom activities. There is room to add drag and drop information in the Quick Guide for both topics. I would be glad to revise those, just let me know when they are needed.
>
> Professional drawings discourage children who can not match that level of skill. . . yet. When I taught music, there was a similar problem using recorded accompaniments and professional singers that came with the textbook. It seemed better for my students to perfect their talents, to really listen to the music they made, rather than hide behind professional musicians and the perfection of recording studio performances.
>
> Maybe we should have a link to proposed additions to Supplies and the Object Catalog. I will mention my bias which is for a continuation of non-violence in Etoys. If more objects are to be added to Supplies, please could we avoid bombs, tanks, military craft, missiles, drones, and any other weapons of mass destruction. Surely there is room in the world for one non-violent introduction to programming.
> Regards,
> Kathleen

One thing I think is "missing" in Etoys is a better way to use a
turtles to make art.
Turtle drawings now are mostly backgrounds and take some extra hurdles
to be used as costumes for players,
saved to files etc.
A more intuitive way to do this would be nice.

Karl