[etoys-dev] Windows 8 effect on Etoys

Harness, Kathleen kharness at illinois.edu
Thu Sep 15 14:01:25 EDT 2011

Hi Bert,
I thought you would already know about Windows 8, I just wanted to make sure.

Two other topics:

Etoys-to-Go
This year at the elementary school where I teach part time my 4th and 5th grade students are using Etoys-to-Go to teach Etoys in K, 1st and 2nd grade classrooms where they will be able to just open the software from their flash drive and teach. It is a great convenience and time saver to have it since otherwise I would have to ask our district technology team to install Etoys on classroom computers. And, of course, to do that they expect the computer to be identified with the secret, secret code number for each machine. As you can imagine this is hugely time consuming and acts as a barrier for requests rather than facilitate new ideas and innovative programs.

iPad
 I have enjoyed experimenting with Etoys on the iPad. Projects look great on that screen.  I make projects on my Toshiba and move finished projects to the iPad.  It is harder to compose projects on the iPad since the arrows are so small and even with a stylus, I am not accurate enough. Adding text is also messy with the on-screen keyboard.  I found using the little box in the top left corner of the screen/click felt like a natural way to get halo. Seeing the cursor + is harder than I wish. Can it be offset from being directly under the fingertip so that is is higher and to the left of the real finger? On a click face I am picturing the cursor at 11 and my finger tip at the center of a small clock face.
Regards,
Kathleen