[etoys-dev] Touch UI (was: Etoys Reference Manual Vol. II)

karl ramberg karlramberg at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 02:59:42 EST 2012

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>wrote:

> On 2012-12-17, at 08:33, Rita Freudenberg <rita at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de>
> wrote:
>
> > On Dec 17, 2012, at 12:04 AM, Edward Mokurai Cherlin wrote:
> >> Gibt es Etoys für das iPhone?
> >
> > Nein/No. There is a version for the iPad, but it is a developers version.
>
> http://croquetweak.blogspot.de/2010/06/squeak-etoys-on-ipad.html
>

> http://croquetweak.blogspot.de/2012/10/squeak-etoys-running-on-olpc-xo-3-tablet.html
>
> http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/ipad/
>
> Squeak runs on Android, too, but as Rita wrote, we need to fix the UI
> first before we can seriously consider a tablet release.
>
> Actually, you can try how Etoys feels with touch using this Etoys-To-Go
> touch emulator:
>
>         http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/Etoys-Touch-Emu-100620.zip

Testing this I realized just how much we need to change to make Etoys
usable on tablets.
Using fingers on a screen is a little clumsy and small widgets do not work
well.
Much of the GUI must be reworked.

Also the Etoys workflow will suffer with limited screen size.
It will be hard to have both Viewers and ScriptEditors open without
cluttering up.

Karl