[etoys-dev] Etoys: Etoys-Richo.103.mcz

K. K. Subramaniam kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 10:53:53 EST 2012

On Saturday 11 Feb 2012 4:15:37 AM Ricardo Moran wrote:
> Hi again, I've been working on the "decimal places" option and now I don't
> feel is a good idea because we would still have the "decimal places..."
> menu item in system-defined slots. I feel this wouldn't be very consistent.
> Maybe the dialog with just name & type would be good enough.
Ricardo,

Thank you for your efforts in improving the newvar dialog. It is evolving
nicely.

I just have one observation for your consideration (keeping Steve's parable in
mind ;-)).

If the dialog is designed with two entry fields and one hint field like this:
     Name  InitialValue  Type
     [var]    [value]        <valuetype>

Where the initial value can either be entered directly as number/text or by
accepting a drop of an existing morph. The variables type and other attributes
can be guessed based on this value (e.g. entering "true" or "True" will change
the value type to Boolean).

This will be tricky to implement but the result will be more intuitive for
children.

Regards .. Subbu