[etoys-dev] Sound volume control in navigator bar

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Feb 22 13:02:44 EST 2012

On 22.02.2012, at 18:46, karl ramberg wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 3:47 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>> On 21.02.2012, at 21:21, karl ramberg wrote:
>>
>>> Hm, if I leave sound volume down in Etoys, there is no sound in flash
>>> movies in my web browser :-(
>>> The primitive is misbehaving.
>>

>> It changes the system volume, yes. That's one reason why we removed it from the nav bar (or rather, did not add it to the Sugar->style tool bar). Also, the XO and I guess most other laptops and Macs do have volume keys, so why would you need that in the >Etoys toolbar?
>
> The reason I want it in the toolbar is that I may want sound from the
> machine like music playing, but I don't want the sounds from Etoys. Or
> I want the sounds from Etoys, too, but they are way to loud compared
> to the other sounds from my system.
>
> It's kind of like why all flash movie players have sound controls. You
> could adjust the volume on the machine, but it's more convenient to
> adjust the program making the sound than the whole machine.
>
> But I also would like to be able to set the volume of sounds by tiles
> so one can do basic fade in and out and other adjustments.
> I looked at Scratch and they use MixedSound and the volume control per
> sound. It could be a better solution as the platform issue would
> disappear I think/hope. But I have to take a closer look at the how
> they use MixedSound...
>
> Anyway, to implement all sound interfaces on just Windows in a
> primitive seem to be a total nightmare, so I hope it can be solved in
> image.
>
> Karl

Yes, modifying the volume in the image should do what you want.

I think this could even work with zero overhead. Modify AbstractSound>>playSampleCount:into:startingAt: by initializing fullVol to something less than AbstractSound scaleFactor. E.g.

	AbstractSound scaleFactor * SoundPlayer soundVolume // 100

(assuming that soundVolume was changed to not use the primitive but just be a class var)