[etoys-dev] graphing and watching enhancements

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Mon Mar 5 16:56:25 EST 2012

Scott,

Some issues with latest build:

   1. Take x-y plane from Object Catalog, Open Viewer for "vertical number
   line", change number lines <min val> to -10, then increase by 1 to -9.
    (number line shifts left).
   2. If Number Lines <min val> is greater than zero, its not really a
   "show negative arrow head" tile. Not sure of good name.
   3. If I set <VerticalNumberLine's>:<yOnGraph> to 0, it changes to 8 and
   moves down. This behavior repeats. It seems to be 8 when min value <=-10
   and 4 when >-10.
   4. Perhaps related to the above items: I would expect the <xOnGraph> and
   <yOnGraph> to be 0, but they are not.  Perhaps because of how you adjust
   for the labels and the max # of digits in the label.  Perhaps have the "0"
   point on the number line be 0 at 0 onGraph.  I was also struck that the
   playfield does not use origin at center, but there is much I do not
   understand.
   5. When I turn "use gridding" from the playfield options, I need to
   reset the the "grid spacing" to match that set via the GraphPaperPanel.
   6. Should we have Etoys tiles for the grid size, coarse grid boolean and
   course grid value?  I know I can get them by opening the viewer for the
   sliders and firing the EtoysUpdatingThreePhaseButton, but most folks won't
   figure that out.
   7. When I delete the x-y plane with the GraphPaperPanel open the panel
   does not dissapear.
   8. Baloon help for Vertical number <show negative arrow head< line
   states: "Whether to show an arrow-head at the extreme left edge of the
   axis".  Perhaps "lower end" instead.
   9. It would be nice to have tiles for the offset and the numbers
   visible, without having to hover.

Last note: I am in Argentina two weeks and other than a chance to visit
Ricardo, I generally don't like travelling especially for so long.  I often
say, and my boss likes to remind me, the reward for work well done is the
opportunity to do more.  So I often struggle with how good of a job to do
(well not really, I always try to do my best).

So Scott, hopefully you are not feeling the same way with all my comments,
your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Stephen