[etoys-dev] Category not showing up in viewer

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Mar 12 07:46:57 EDT 2012

On 11.03.2012, at 22:35, Scott Wallace wrote:

> Ah, I can see that *setting* the hue, saturation, or brightness of a bitmap is well-defined and can be useful for color effects.
>
> But what would be the definitions of the *getters* for these three quantities?  How could one expect to *get* meaningful values for hue, saturation, and brightness from a bitmap, which can have a different value for each of these quantities at each pixel?
>
> So… a suggestion:  for bitmaps, how about offering filtering *commands* rather than trying to use variables?  For example "applySaturation: foo"?  This avoids the issue of ill-defined getters...
>
>   -- Scott

We've had that discussion before ... and what I suggested before is that we should have slots for hue/saturation/brightness *shift*, instead of absolute values, which indeed make no sense in the context of images. These shift amounts would default to zero, in which case no filtering affects would be applied. Setting them to non-zero would add the filtering. Getting the values would be as simple (the amounts would be stored in Morph properties, and be zero if absent).

This to me seems a lot more useful than commands, because using slots you can much more easily play with these effects, and undo them.