[etoys-dev] [etoys-notify] [JIRA] Commented: (SQ-1072) DNU getLjusstyrkaUnder

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Mar 28 16:55:18 EDT 2012

On 28.03.2012, at 22:47, Karl Ramberg (JIRA) wrote:

>    [ http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-1072 ]
>
> Karl Ramberg commented on SQ-1072:
>
> in WatcherWrapper the watcher is built and is sent a valid getter symbol. But it is ditched. Maybe we should hold on to it instead of trying to remake it from a translated unCamelCased string.

In general, we want to keep the untranslated string around if we ever need it again. The translated version must only ever be used for displaying, not for anything else.

What are different words in English may have the same translation on other languages. And the same English word may have been translated differently in different domains. E.g. we have had bugs where objects are searched for by their translated labels. This is bad style, and very unreliable. This came from the need to make things translatable quickly, but we should try to remove those dependencies on the translated phrase.

So in this case, keeping the original symbol around seems like very much the Right Thing to do.