[etoys-dev] FW: CS4K8 Etoys Workshop

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Wed May 22 22:34:02 EDT 2013

Kathleen,
> Thanks for the information.

And thanks to Bert for correcting the part about Etoys and the Apple app
store.

> Matt's comment about Chromebooks in Unit 4 was not the first district
> in our area to buy sets of these computers. It is not an isolated trend, is it?

When I was looking for a computer to run Squeak on at Best Buy I was
seriously tempted to get a Chromebook. I was hoping that I would be able
to figure out how to get Squeak and Etoys running on that, but if I
couldn't there were instructions on the web on how to install Ubuntu
Linux on those machines (specific models) and that would be a way to
having Squeak on them. In the end, I bought an HP laptop instead (due to
the larger screen, mostly).

> The closed shop policy of Chromebooks is in direct contradiction of Google's
> efforts to increase the number of people who know how to program.

I didn't look into this very much, but my initial impression was that it
isn't as closed as the Apple stuff.

> We are presenting our 4th year workshop, Introduction to Programming with
> Etoys, with a CS4HS grant from Google. It has made a difference we can see
> and has built connections between the university and public school districts
> who are trying to include more young students in some kind of CS course.

I am very glad to hear that.

> Our middle schools piloted Etoys this year and I have seen some terrific
> projects from 6-8th graders. Next year we are piloting Etoys in an elementary
> school where 20 of the teachers studied Etoys in a five day workshop. They
> will learn Etoys and how to adapt it to their instructional materials and classroom
> routines.

It is too bad that I haven't heard much about Etoys here in Brazil since
the 2009 SqueakFest. On the other hand, I hadn't heard about what you
just wrote either until just now. So it could be that I am out of touch.

> I have looked at Snap but still prefer Etoys.

Snap has some extra stuff for serious programming that Etoys and Scratch
lack. But that might be pushing the visual style too far - the examples
that use these feature seem very bloated and awkward. Though I support
both Scratch and Etoys, I always use the latter in my own projects.

> The big companies have money to burn and we do not have a cent. If we had
> the money, what would developers do with Etoys.

I plan to find out.

Cheers,
-- Jecel