[etoys-dev] Is there a way to tell the length of a sound?

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Sat Sep 14 00:25:23 EDT 2013

Folks,

Mike Lee recorded a video with some folks in Zambia for the Lubutto project
where "Dr. Enesto," "Dr. David," and "Chairman Moses" share their most
recent work with Mike:

http://youtu.be/lGO0OaRYWJM

Among other things they asked two questions:

   1. How to show a progress bar when a sound is playing to "know when its
   going to finish or how far it is"?
   2. Can they pause and then continue a sound.

One way that could solve this is if I knew the length of a sound. I could
also use this to coordinate sounds for animations/movies.  So:

   1. Is there a way to tell the length of a sound?
      - Can you think of a better way to solve the problem?
   2. I don't know of any scripting tiles to do this, but is there a way
   using Squeak?

Thanks,
Stephen