[etoys-dev] [gsoc-mentors] [GSoC ideas] Squeak

Ricardo Moran richi.moran at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 06:58:03 EST 2014

Hi,
I would like to propose the following projects:

Project name: Implementing Etoys on Amber

The objective of this project is the implementation of a subset of Etoys
features on top of Amber Smalltalk. This subset should at least include a
basic version of the halos, viewer, and script editor.
To develop the graphical user interface, several libraries can be used, for
example: Morphic on Athens [1], morphic.js [2], KinecticJS [3], etc. The
student would need to decide which of these is more suitable for the task.
This project would have an enormous impact on Etoys users by allowing them
to work and share their projects directly in the browser without installing
any plugin.
[1] http://m-sp.org/gsoc2013/demo/amber-athens/morphic.html
[2] http://chirp.scratchr.org/dl/experimental/JsMorphic/morphic.html
[3] http://kineticjs.com/

Skill level: Intermediate

Possible mentors:
- Ricardo Moran (richi.moran at gmail.com)
- Gonzalo Zabala (gzabala at gmail.com)
Project name: Etoys touch UI

The objective of this project is to adapt the Etoys user interface for
touch gestures such as rotate, scale, and such. Currently, Etoys is very
dependent on the user to interact with Morphs with the cursor. Given the
popularity of multitouch devices this represents a severe disadvantage.
Bert Freudenberg has done some initial work adapting the Squeak Virtual
Machine and Morphic to support multitouch events [1]. As he stated, the UI
would need to be improved (or maybe even redesigned from scratch) before we
can deliver this to kids.
In this project we don't propose the complete redesign of Etoys UI (which
we think it would take more than 3 months to complete) but at least a new
implementation of Morphic interaction that takes into account multitouch
gestures.
[1] http://croquetweak.blogspot.com.ar/2010/06/squeak-etoys-on-ipad.html

Skill level: Intermediate
Possible mentors:
- Gonzalo Zabala (gzabala at gmail.com)
- Matías Teragni (matias.teragni at gmail.com)
Project name: Physical Etoys plugins

Currectly, Physical Etoys is dependent on a number of external libraries to
interact with different hardware platforms. To do this, Physical Etoys uses
FFI bindings, which represents a security issue. To solve it we propose the
implementation of this FFI bindings as VM plugins.
The student would need to learn how to compile Etoys VM and Slang in order
to implement the plugins.

Skill level: Intermediate
Possible mentors:
- Matías Teragni (matias.teragni at gmail.com)
- Gabriela Arévalo (gabriela.b.arevalo at gmail.com)
Project name: Physical Etoys XO bundle

The objective of this project is to finish the bundling of Physical Etoys
as a Sugar activity for the XO computers. The student will need to make
sure all Physical Etoys modules work correctly in Linux and specifically on
the XO laptop. This would involve porting some libraries, dealing with
platform-specific issues and wrap all the necessary files in an Activity
bundle.

Skill level: Intermediate
Possible mentors:
- Gabriela Arévalo (gabriela.b.arevalo at gmail.com)