[etoys-dev] [ANN] SqueakJS 0.2 released, now runs Etoys

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Fri Jul 4 18:02:06 EDT 2014

Well at least some good news after first the US was eliminated and now
Colombia.

Great work Bert.

Stephen

On Friday, July 4, 2014, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> my SqueakJS VM has reached a major milestone. It is now sufficiently
> complete to run a full Etoys image (and possibly other non-closure images,
> too). It has support for most BitBlt modes, WarpBlt, even some Balloon2D
> rendering (for TTF fonts), a virtual file system, image saving etc.
>
> Try it: http://bertfreudenberg.github.io/SqueakJS/etoys/
> (Safari and IE are significantly faster than Firefox and Chrome, best is
> Safari Webkit nightly, works on iPad too, hopefully Android)
>
> For more details, see my blogpost:
> http://croquetweak.blogspot.de/2014/07/squeakjs-runs-etoys-now.html
>
> Feedback and contributions welcome :)

To some of us, writing computer programs is a fascinating game. A program
is a building of thought. It is costless to build, weightless, growing
easily under our typing hands. If we get carried away, its size and
complexity will grow out of control, confusing even the one who created it.
This is the main problem of programming. It is why so much of today's
software tends to crash, fail, screw up.

When a program works, it is beautiful. The art of programming is the skill
of controlling complexity. The great program is subdued, made simple in its
complexity.

- Martin Harverbeke (from Eloquent JavaScript
<http://eloquentjavascript.net/index.html>)