Is it worth delaying the release?

bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 13 21:05:25 UTC 2006

Hi Andy, Any chance you could build a Win 32 version of the VM for the
release?  VM's for other platforms would also be nice too. It would be
really great to release on two platforms at once.

The versions to use are:
  Exupery-wbk.219
  VMMAker-wbk.42

The big decision was really between releasing on VMMaker 3.8b3 based
VMs or upgrading to VMMaker 3.8b6. We're hoping that upgrading will
solve the problems that the Mac x86 port is having. Hopefully a Mac
port should appear during 0.11 development. Upgrading VMMaker risks
destabilizing this release, and also makes it harder for the ports
that exist to build VMs to go with the release.

I've now got a working 3.9 development image based on the squeak-dev
images. I'll include that image along with the release. The exupery39
versions are the port to 3.9. The only problems have been with tests.
23 tests were failing because the bytecodes are all 8 bytes further
down in the MethodContexts in 3.9. One test was failing due to a bug
fix in 3.9. Exupery currently works in both 3.8 and 3.9 images but not
all the tests will pass in both images.

I've moved all the VM code into the VMMaker package, this is to make
it easier to see when a new VM may be needed. If the VMMaker package
hasn't changed then none of the VM code will have changed. If it
hasn't then all the changes were in image side code. Previously there
is no easy way to see if a new VM is required between different
versions of Exupery

The release will be built on 3.8, with the old well tested VMMaker
3.8b3 VMs and will include a 3.9 developer image with the tests fixed.
So the release image will be slightly ahead of the release but only
tests will have changed.

Bryce