question

Chris Muller afunkyobject at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 25 02:16:16 UTC 2006

Hi Bryce, great job on your perseverence, sounds like you're getting close!  My interest is seething, as I'm sure many in our community, don't quit now, ok?  :)

I have been thinking in terms of Magma's materialization process, whether Exupery could deal with it.  When an object graph is materialized from a ByteArray, the object structure is built in two steps.  The first step establishes identity <-> oids by instantiating all of the objects with pointers to Integer oids, potentially Large or Small.  For example,

aPerson (110)
    name = 115
    address = 130

aName (115)
    first = 116
    last = 117

'Chris' (116)
'Muller' (117)

anAddress (130)
    street = 141

'101 W. Meyer' (141)

The second step then replaces those integers with the actual objects (or a proxy).

aPerson
    name = aName
    address = anAddress

anAddress
    street = '101 W. Meyer'

If a particular variable can have an Integer, Proxy or the RealObject at various times, will that disrupt Exupery's ability to optimize the domain code, or am I confusing with Strongtalk?