trying to build VM for Win32

Bryce Kampjes bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 17 20:26:04 UTC 2006

Andrew Tween writes:

 > Building a Win32 VM from a 3.8 image is problematic. I tried this in the past
 > when builiding the subpixel/freetype image/plugins, and after many failures,
 > gave up, and moved to a 3.9 image + VMMaker-tpr.58.mcz + revision 1513 from the
 > svn sources.  I also built successfully from a 3.7 image. I (optimistically)
 > hoped that that your VMMaker-wbk.35 package might solve the build problems with
 > 3.8, but unfortunately they are still present.

Is the problem the image or the version of VMMaker?

 > So, I propose to port the changes from VMMaker-wbk.35 to VMMaker-tpr.58.mcz. And
 > then to attempt to build the vm using revision 1513, from a 3.9 image. Does that
 > sound sensible?

It's possible, be very careful of merges particularly those involving
commonSend and commonReturn. It used to take me about half a day to
upgrade my VM to the latest versions. That was before VMMaker moved to
Monticello and included assembling a working build environment with
the right C sources.

It's possible. Let me know how you get on. If it looks like the main
show stopper for your Win 32 work then I'll upgrade to 3.9 and the
latest VMMakers after finishing the size primitive. I've been meaning
to do that at some point anyway. The new squeak-dev images look nice.

Bryce