trying to build VM for Win32

Andrew Tween amtween at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 17 21:08:59 UTC 2006

Hi Bryce,
> Is the problem the image or the version of VMMaker?

Siimple answer: I don't know.
I was tryng to find a combination of vmmaker+svn release+image which produced a
working vm. Once I had found one, I didn't investigate further.

But, I think that the vmmaker+svn release combination is the key.
If the VM builds with both 3.8 and 3.9 images, then nothing is gained, since I
would still build from 3.9. If it fails to build with 3.8, then nothing is lost,
since I can still build with 3.9.
At least, that was my thought process.

>  > So, I propose to port the changes from VMMaker-wbk.35 to
VMMaker-tpr.58.mcz. And
>  > then to attempt to build the vm using revision 1513, from a 3.9 image. Does
that
>  > sound sensible?
>
> It's possible, be very careful of merges particularly those involving
> commonSend and commonReturn. It used to take me about half a day to
> upgrade my VM to the latest versions. That was before VMMaker moved to
> Monticello and included assembling a working build environment with
> the right C sources.

ok. I have a linux pc (Fedora core 5), so probably the best approach is to do
the porting / vm building on the linux box, check that the vm still builds, run
the tests, and then move the changes back to Windows. Easier to deal with one
unknown, rather than two.

> It's possible. Let me know how you get on. If it looks like the main
> show stopper for your Win 32 work then I'll upgrade to 3.9 and the
> latest VMMakers after finishing the size primitive. I've been meaning
> to do that at some point anyway. The new squeak-dev images look nice.

ok, good. I'll do the porting work on linux, and call on your help when I get
problems. And then move back to the Win32 build.

Cheers,
Andy