trying to build VM for Win32

Andrew Tween amtween at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 18 22:37:25 UTC 2006

"Bryce Kampjes" <bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:17679.6138.277095.779796 at gargle.gargle.HOWL...

> That is definately working. Thanks. After a Windows port that
> just leaves the Mac people.

Excellent. Maybe RiscOS and SqueakNOS too?

> Did you need any other changes besides that single reference to foo?

Yes. I'll send you my modified packages.
In addition to foo removal (which was in more than one place), I made these
changes to VMaker...

    uncommented "self initializeCompilerHooks" in Interpreter class>>initialize.

    replaced references to String with ByteString in MiscPrimitivePlugin
class>>translatedPrimitives

I also had to add the getImageName() function to one of the Win32 specific
files. That was all that was stopping the compilation, but in the past I just
moved to a later VMMaker/image/svn release, rather than chasing the problem.

> May I have a copy of the VM to add to the FTP site? I'll be out
> tomorrow at XtC so the earliest I'll be able to do anything with a VM
> is Wednewsday. This is on Win 32, right?

Sure, I'll send you the .exe , and the modified mcz files.
Yes. Windows2000. When I get time I'll test it on Windows 98 too. I don't have
Windows XP, but it would be a good if someone could test it on that.

> Andrew Tween writes:
>  > Hi Bryce,
>  > Thanks for the offer. I've made some good progress, so maybe a sprint won't
be
>  > needed...
>  >
>  > I've made further attempts at building with 3.8, and I think I now have a
VM
>  > that works.
>  >
>  > Running ExuperyStoryTests, gives...
>  >     288 run, 284 passes, 0 expected failures, 0 failures, 4 errors, 0
unexpected
>  > passes
>  >     all errors are due to missing classes
>  >
>  > Evaluating - ExuperyBenchmarks new run - gives these numbers...
>  >     arithmaticLoopBenchmark 2459 compiled 270 ratio: 9.107
>  >     bytecodeBenchmark 4317 compiled 1237 ratio: 3.490
>  >     sendBenchmark 3576 compiled 1782 ratio: 2.007
>  >     doLoopsBenchmark 2231 compiled 1711 ratio: 1.304
>  >     largeExplorers 2299 compiled 2358 ratio: 0.975
>  >     compilerBenchmark 1956 compiled 2103 ratio: 0.930
>  >     Cumulative Time 13066.194 compiled 5503.701 ratio 2.374
>
> It looks like you're running a Pentium-M.

I get confused by which code name relates to which chip, but My Computer
reports...
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) III Mobile
    CPU 1133MHz
which I guess is a Pentium-M?

>  > Is it safe to assume that everything is working o.k.?
>  > Are there any other tests that need running? (I ran ExuperyTests, in the
>  > TestRunner but it didn't do anything)
>
> I organise my tests into catagories. But ExuperyStoryTests covers
> everything. There is another suite in the class category
> Exupery Programmer-Tests.

It looks like it's a done-deal then.
Give me a little time to check it works on Win 98, and I'll send it to you.
Thanks for your help,
Cheers,
Andy