Building a VM for Exupery on Linux/x86

bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 12 12:17:37 UTC 2007

Thanks,
I'll look at the script later, I've got to go out to pick up overseas
family from the airport soon. You should be able to post to the swiki,
if you can't then it's probably worthwhile posting to #squeak-dev.

Andrew Gaylard writes:
 > The new VM and image run most of the tests correctly.
 > However, I'm seeing these 16 errors from the Programmer-tests:
 >
 >     AssemblerTests>>#testDoublePicEntry
 >     AssemblerTests>>#testPic
 >     AssemblerTests>>#testPicEntry
 >     AssemblerTests>>#testPicEntry2
 >     ByteCodeReaderTests>>#testStackHeightWithJumps
 >     InstructionSelectionTests>>#testPic
 >     InterferenceGraphGenerationTests>>#testPic
 >     IntermediateSimplifierTests>>#testBytecodePrimNewWithArg
 >     IntermediateSimplifierTests>>#testSendMessage
 >     IntermediateSimplifierTests>>#testSendMessageCheckingPicEntry
 >     IntermediateSimplifierTests>>#testSendWithStack
 >     IntermediateSimplifierTests>>#testSendWithStack2
 >     LivenessAnalysisTests>>#testPic
 >     LowLevelOptimiserTests>>#testPic
 >     TestEndToEnd>>#testBenchFib
 >     TestEndToEnd>>#testStringConcatenate

These are failing because when they ran Exupery's runtime wasn't
initialised. Either run the tests again as the ExuperyStoryTests all
initialise the runtime or execute "Exupery initialiseExupery" before
running the tests.

They don't execute code but do compile it. This allocates memory
for PIC bookkeeping but that memory isn't availible until after
Exupery has been initialised. Initialising Exupery is a slow operation
because it needs to clean out all compiled contexts which requires two
sends to allInstancesOf (a full memory scan).

 > I'm also seeing these errors from the Customer-tests:
 >
 >     ExuperyStoryTests>>#testBlockBug3
 >     ExuperyStoryTests>>#testBlockNonLocalReturnsRecycleContexts
 >     ExuperyStoryTests>>#testBlocksAndProcesssesBug
 >     ExuperyStoryTests>>#testDelayWaitStressTest

They should work but rely on packages that you probably don't have
loaded.

Try loading GraphViz and OSProcess. The pre-built Exupery development
image includes all needed packages for the tests.

Thanks
Bryce