[Io] DirectoryPlugin as a useful start?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Apr 22 02:32:54 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 04:52:32PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
> Dave Lewis did a fair old bit of work to write the DirectoryPlugin
> (http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2274) and it might make a good
> start for improving the steaming pile of nastiness currently used for
> file accessing. Have any of you looked at it? Any opinions on it - or
> indeed on any of the issues?

DirectoryPlugin is a performance optimization based on the existing
Squeak model of directories and files. It will make the current steaming
pile go faster, but it will not smell any better.

If I were to contribute anything to this discussion, I'd prefer that
you look at IOHandle (http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/996). It will
not help at all with performance, but it does attempt to represent a
conceptual difference between low level IO channels and the higher
level Squeak constructs such as streams, files, and sockets.

Craig's Flow framework also addresses this, but it's a bigger step
to take for the installed base.

Dave