[Io] Been making a list of Http stuff

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Fri Jan 20 09:14:59 UTC 2006

Todd Blanchard wrote:
> results in a walkback as it attempts to call
> HttpClient>>retrieveMIMEDocument: which doesn't exist.  Seems to be
> some mismatch and this brings us to HttpClient.

The URI stuff is not fully integrated with the services.

> HttpClient is a grab bag of class methods for doing fetching of files
> over http.  It is used by squeak's network update machinery,
> ProjectLauncher, and HttpServerDirectory.  I wonder if most of what  it
> does couldn't be accomplished within the Url hierarchy directly.
>
> There is also a class called HttpLoader - this one seems to try to
> perform async downloads of files over http and has a caching  variant.

Both these classes origin about 7 years ago from my work at Disney
Online. In hindsight naming HttpClient as such wasn't a good choice. And
basically socket, loader and client classes could be replaced by one
properly implemented client class. Basically what I did in the network
rewrite with ftp client etc.

Michael