Magma sessions

Brent Pinkney brent.pinkney at aircom.co.za
Thu Dec 22 13:40:22 UTC 2005

> I assume you (Brent) use two processes on a single machine (a Magma
> server proc and a Seaside proc) and remote connections. And given what
> you wrote on minnow I also guess you use one Magma session per Seaside
> session. And AFAIK each Magma session builds its own "read set" so a
> Seaside image with x users (sessions) would have x copies of the domain
> objects read, right?

Right.

> Now - the system in question will possibly involve around 100 concurrent
> users. And most of them will be readers. So.... :) any ideas on
> "smarter" solutions to that issue?

We were also concerned about this - we got to +/-50 users using one Magma session per Seaside session
without problems.

> And while on the subject - anyone using multiple Seaside images in a
> "round robin" fashion to utilize multiple CPUs or multiple servers?

We have apache with https infront of our Seaside image.

Our very simple idea was to have each Seaside image add an integer keyword (_i=1,2,3..) to the Seaside URLs
and had apache redirect to a different port:

	https//...../_s=..&._k=...&_i=1		--> http://localhost:1111/https//...../_s=..&._k=...&_i=1
	https//...../_s=..&._k=...&_i=2		--> http://localhost:2222/https//...../_s=..&._k=...&_i=2
	etc.

I am not sure how new sessions were to be distributed amongst the Seaside images.

It turns out we never needed this though - too damed stable as it is !

I would like to get the canonical answer to this though.

Brent