Head on MagmaCollection

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire2006 at laposte.net
Tue Oct 24 16:00:08 UTC 2006

Hi!

It is fun to experiment with Magma and persistency. Thanks Chris  for
this great piece of software.

I would like to use it seriously in a pet project. It is a kind of
e-learning application composed of two blocks: a local morphic
application with pedagogical activites and a distant data base
repository. The two applications could be on different network location
on the Internet.

The data base repository contains knowledge representations and a very
sharp log of the learner activity. So bascily after each learning act on
the morphic application, a batch of log is saved on the distant
database. The learner log is a tree populated with different Smalltlak
objects (learningConcept, moprh, numbers, stream,...).

So far I have implemented all the persistency with the use of standard
Smalltalk collection. Now I am thinking about optimizing the data flow
between the morphic application and the database. In particulary when a
learner log need to be recorded in the data base. As implemented right
now -- just standard collection and no readStrategy -- I guess that
inserting a new log in the learner log tree imply first fetching a lot
of the tree locally then adding the new entries. It is not wise and it
is bit slow. Now I am wondering if the MagmaCollection is something that
could help.
Will it be possible to do a distant querry on the data base server to
fetch the exact object from where I need to hook my new learner log?

Of course I could used readStrategy to fully load locally major part of
the learner log tree -- and probably I will do that -- but I am currious
about the MagmaCollection options.

Hilaire