Magma in production

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Wed Jan 24 22:06:59 UTC 2007

Hi Giuseppe!

"Giuseppe Luigi" <glpunzi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Probably, I will start a project soon, and I would like do it on
> Smalltalk and an ODBMS
>
> What I need is to know if Magma is fully stable for a production app.

In my opinion it seems to be.

> This app (surely with Seaside UI) will be a multiuser Sales Management
> (sorry, I don't know how to translate from spanish "Software de
> Gestión") and this project will be my first project on squeak and
> ODBMS's.

I think that a good "framework" for building a Seaside/Magma app would
be to take Gjallar (www.gjallar.se) and use it as a starter.

It has a Magma session pool, some nice Seaside components to get a
"standard table-o-contents-to-the-left using CSS" look, lots of other
"ground work" stuff like logging, a scheduler running services (like
cron in a unix system), users, LDAP integration for users (firstname,
lastname, password, username, email) etc etc.

I could probably write an article about this in whic I could build a
small app using Gjallar as a base. Hmmm. So much fun to do, so little
time. :)

regards, Göran