Seaside and Magma: first steps into Gjallar

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Mon Jan 29 19:57:53 UTC 2007

Hi Thierry!

"Thierry Thelliez" <thierry.thelliez.tech at gmail.com> wrote:
> (disclaimer: I am new to Squeak/Seaside/Magma/)
>
> I am trying to understand how to use Seaside and Magma. In another
> thread someone mentioned Gjallar.
>
> I downloaded gjallar-0.3. Out of the box it works (I get the login
> screen but I have not yet found the username/password).

There is a user "root" with default password "goldfish". Then there are
some other test users with the same pass as username like "balder" for
example.

Btw, Gjallar is currently piggybacking on this ml:

> My main issue is the upgrading. On the bottom right of the opened
> image there are instructions:
> "To upgrade Gjallar, use the http://mc.gjallar.se repository opened up
> to the left."
>
> Maybe I do not understand Montecillo but I clicked on the top right
> window, on the Q2v0.3 link, then on the refresh button. This shown two
> new versions: Q2v0.3-gk.229.mcz and Q2v0.3-gk.228.mcz. Apprently I
> have 227.

First of all - there is no "real" new version to look at. The snapshots
since 0.3 are just tiny stuff.

But yes, upgrading is done just like that. Modulo any possibly new
requirements on other packages - but those are rare.

> I clicked on 229 and pressed the Load button. Gjallar would not work
> after that. Errors on the web pages about Magma.

Mmmm, I am unsure, but try to do "Q2Gjallar startServer" (which first
stops and then restarts).
Or even "Q2Gjallar cleanImage" and then "Q2Gjallar startServer".
#cleanImage does... just that. :)

> How does one update to the latest/greatest?

You did the right thing. We don't use MC dependencies or MCConfigs etc
yet so as I explained above you could theoretically end up with needing
a newer Seaside package or something like that.

But that doesn't happen very often. :)

> Thanks,
> Thierry

regards, Göran