Some thought about OODB design

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire2006 at laposte.net
Fri Mar 9 06:43:32 UTC 2007

With SQL, tables are just separated collections, co-related with index key.
When using Magma, I found it is pretty elegant to nest the collections.
So with Magma we are closer to the inner nature of the designed domain
and index key are not much needed.

But when it comes to query it is another story. If you need to formulate
a querry based on attribute down in the nested collection, it starts to
be a bit complicated and probably very expensive. With flat, separated
collection as in Sql it is simple.
Of course it is possible with Magma to just do the same and to use
separated collections, co-related with index key.

I am curious to know which options you took for your own design...

Hilaire