Save and query dependent objects

Carsten Karkola ckarkola at web.de
Mon Nov 26 09:25:59 UTC 2007

Hi Sebastian,

thank you for your suggestions. I've tried them out - storing the whole model starting with the top node. Beside that I created MagmaCollections to store objects for quick access via queries, as you suggested:

> 	As far as I know nothing stops you to have in other part of the odb
> the cars that also refers (have in its instVars) lots of those parts. That
> way you won both: the easiness of having all the parts indexed in a magma
> collection (usually the only efficient approach in the relational world) and
> the conceptual model of it's position in the "car space".

Do I need some special code to ensure that the objects will not be saved twice? As far as I can see, if an object  is part of another object (in its instVar) in a Magma DB  and is put separately in a Magma Collection it will be stored only once. I can look for it via a query and change it or I can look for it traversing my domain model and change it there - so it seems that the object is really only once in the DB. In my test code it worked this way. I'm right with this? (I'm a little bit confused about this magic ... ).

Thanks, carsten