Magma use with low bandwidth and weird situation

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ofset.org
Tue Feb 12 11:25:33 UTC 2008

In iStoa, the client (kids with Morphic application) connect to a Magma
database through an ADSL connection. When a kids has finished with an
exercice, several instances relative to kid achievements are recorded in
the remote Magma database. Later the teacher can review (and replay) the
kid actions and results.

1. My first constraint is the 128 kbits/s up limit used to upload in the
database the instances. Indeed the client is blocked for 1 miniute
waiting for the data persistence.
A first idea is to compress all the serialised data sent to the Magma
server. Is it possible?
Other option is to embed the Magma commit in a separate thread.  I did
some tests, but it randomly leads to crash on the server. Is it
something some of you look at?

2. Next the teacher reviews the kids activities through a web
application (seaside based) + Squeak web plugin. The Squeak web plugin
is used to connect to the Magma database and to replay cinematically the
kids activities. From there, at each use of the plugin, a connection to
the Magma database is opened, and it is slow, too slow. Any thought
about how to optimise that?

Best

Hilaire