How to install latest Magma beta, let's try this again..

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 17:21:00 UTC 2008

Ok, there continue to be questions about "how do I install Magma?"
Unfortunately 3.9 was delivered with Monticello Configurations totally
broken and even Monticello 1.5 does not seem fix it.  I have not tried
LevelPlayingField yet, but if you want a smaller simpler fix, I have
attached two (previously-published) packages to this e-mail that you
can load into a standard 3.9-7067 image so you can actually use
Monticello Configurations.

Here are the steps to load the latest and greatest Magma.

 1) boot up a standard 3.9-7067 image.
 2) load the attached Monticello-SR.315.mcz.
 3) load the attached MonticelloConfigurations-cmm.44.mcz.
 4) add the following HTTP repository to Monticello's repository list:

     MCHttpRepository
       location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/MagmaTester'
       user: ''
       password: ''

 5) Scroll down to the bottom of the package list, you should see "r41Beta4".
 6) Click it, in the right-hand pane you see "r41Beta4.mcm".  This is
a MonticelloConfiguration file, it simply lists all of the packages
for that configuration.  Click it.
 7) Click "Load".  Magma is now loaded.

Please let me know if further clarification is still needed.

I'm sorry it is not easier.  3.9, in itself, was the most painful
release of Squeak ever IMO.  I have more than a dozen patches to the
7067 image just to get to an image with basic tool stability, doesn't
everyone?  My personal goal is for you to have a "one-click" load and
then a reasonably stable and working ODBMS.  Is Magma the only system
out there made up of multiple independent Monticello packages?
Someone please tell me what is the best practice for deployment of
such a system and I will be happy to do it.

 - Chris

PS - Note, this mail is about loading the *beta* release of Magma.  At
this time, barring any super solutions to Squeaks packaging systems, I
plan for the *Stable* release of Magma will continue to be SAR.  SAR's
offer unlimited flexibility and compatible across all recent versions
of Squeak (since 3.7 I think).