Migration headache

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 23:53:58 UTC 2009

Hi,

> I will take a look at the repo definition, how can I "inspect" the object
> buffers in an easy way? It really would be cool to have some kind of low
> level explorer that does NOT deserialize/serialize these guys.

Ah, MagmaBufferController has been around since 2005 for this exact
purpose!   :-)   It's in the "Magma Tools" package in the MagmaTester
project of squeaksource.  You may wish to make a simple UI to render
the buffers, I made one in Maui in about 37 seconds..  :)

> Yes, but... let's say I have tons of objects in the db with this superfluous
> ivar in them. Every time I pull one of those guys into the image and changes
> it and commits it back - it will warn me. Fine. But how do I fix it "bulk
> wise"? I could iterate over them, but how do I tell Magma that:
>
> "Yes, consider it modified, although it is not, but I want to commit and
> truncate all these guys now in order to not get warnings for the rest of my
> life..." :)

Heh, ok, there are two separate issues here, the warning and the
truncation.  Yes, I had to look up whether a truncation is considered
a "change" and it appears it is not.  But this is actually a good
thing; or at least the "more conservative" thing.

It sounds like you only care about truncation to the extent it rids
the warning.  Can't you just handle and resume that where you perform
your commit?  Perhaps you have commits all over the code?  Hmm..  If
so, I suppose you could extend MagmaTruncationWarning with:

  defaultAction
    self resume

or some such..?