Newbie Questions

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Mon Mar 23 05:00:32 UTC 2009

I am considering using Magma for a new project, which really only
involves a single user (me).  I want a database because a previous
project without one eventually produce a huge, unresponsive image.

Do you recommend using r41 or the r42beta?  I can be a bit of a guinea
pig, but I'm more concerned with getting my program working.

What channel should I use to get Magma?  I gather there are several
(SqueakMap, SqueakSource, UniverseBrowser).

I'm thinking of using Damien's squeak-dev 3.10 image.  Should that work?

I will be using DateAndTime and, probably, TimeSpan's (e.g., Date,
Month).  Since TimeSpan's are intervals, rather than points, I'm not
sure how or if they can be put in indices or used in queries.

The documentation asks for attributes to be indexed.  Does this mean
instance variables, or can one index the results of methods?  For
example, if an object has a TimeSpan instance variable and methods
#start and #end that give the start and endpoints of that variable, can
I index on start and end?

Thanks.
Ross