test suite later failure Squeak 3.10 + Vista

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Tue Nov 10 18:11:34 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 10:49 -0600, Chris Muller wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> > I started with a clean 3.10 image and added NewCompiler and Magma
> > tester, but not OSProcess.  The testConductor popped up windows telling
> > me to launch various images manually, which I did.
>
> While it *should* work, I have never once manually started images to
> run the test suite.  I recommend installing the OSProcess plugin
> manually or from SqueakMap.
I would need to build a VM after installing it, wouldn't I?

BTW, I just read somewhere (not sure if it was OSProcess or even
smalltalk) that stderr was unavailable under windows, which is
consistent with the failure I got.  Of course, it's unavailability is
also consistent with the plugin being absent from the VM.

> > Further into the test I had to relaunch one image.  I walked away, and c
> > 30 minutes later came back.  There was no activity and the last line in
> > the transcript on the conductor was
> > "launching ..\_magmaTestserver.image".
> > Unlike previous times, there was no window telling me that OSProcess was
> > not loaded an I should launch manually.
When I redid the test there was a yellow window outline, which I placed,
clicked, and it materialized into a "please launch manually and hit
proceed" notification.

> > The last few lines above the launching message in the transcript are
> > remote performing setSiumlateServerOutage
> > remote performing commitDistaster
> > waiting for server to shutdown (twice)
> > Could not connect to port 1316.
> >
> > The transcript scrollbar suggests there might be a line below the last
> > visible line.
> >
> > I launched the _magmaTestserver image manually, but nothing happened.  I
> > tried to manipulate the conductor, but, as had been the case throughout
> > the test, it was unresponsive to mouse clicks (or movement: putting the
> > mouse over resizing handles did not change the icon).  I tried ctl-. and
> > alt-.  The bottom part of my conductor window showed white with WARNING:
> > event buffer overflow when I moved my mouse into the area of the regular
> > image.  The bottom part of the window had a scrollbar; the very top of
> > the (white) scrolling region says
> > # Debug Console
> >
> > It's possible the window prompting to launch the other process manually
> > was covered by other windows.
>
> Hmm, possibly..  It certainly sounds like something went wrong.
>
> > Also, _magamTestclient2.image has a window titled "Verify these
> > projects" which says to go into a bunch of projects to see if they look
> > ok.  Then it lists the projects, saying "not present" after each one.
> > It is correct: they aren't there (only the conductor image seems
> > unresponsive).  The projects are
> > Building with Squeak
> > Fun with Morphic
> > Fun With Music
> > SmalltalkIntroduction
> >
> > I have a couple of ideas.  First, maybe the projects are not present
> > because they were stripped out of 3.10.  Second, maybe the main failure
> > described above is the result of a long wait before I launched the
> > server image.
>
> Yes, this is a legacy test for Projects that has "failed" due to
> non-presence of those Projects since 3.8 I think.  You probably aren't
> going to need to store Projects in your Magma repository anyway, I
> wouldn't worry about that.
>
> The server-player is killed several times during the Magma test-suite,
> you would need to be there to baby-sit, possibly within a time-out
> period to manually restart..
That seems to be the case.  My second attempt got much further, but
eventually there was a relaunch request I didn't notice for quite
awhile.  When I did finally relaunch, the images used all available CPUs
(dual core) but never progressed.  I gave it at least 4 hours.

> Therefore, I recommend once again to find a way to get the OSProcess
> plugin installed to run the Magma test-suite.  Have you tried from
> SqueakMap?
I installed OSProcess from SM, but not the plugin.

Is the non-responsiveness of the conductor to my mouse or keyboard,
except when I get one of the launch process popups, expected?

Thanks for the info.
Ross