magma VM requirements

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 19:20:56 UTC 2009

> Does magma require a VM with closures?

No.  But it will run fine on a VM with closures.

> By this I mean any requirement beyond what the underlying platform
> needs;

The only package needed is the NewCompiler, and only if you decide to
run with the WriteBarrier option enabled.

The only other package strongly recommended is OSProcess, but only if
you want to run the test-suite.

> I think Pharo and Seaside both need a VM with closures.  That is
> more recent than the version in the current Debian release (Lenny).  I
> think 3.10.4, which http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2657 recommends, has
> closures.

The 3.10-4 Linux VM is not a closure VM, but Magma runs fine with the Pharo VM.