Metacello ConfigurationOfMagma

Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez miguel.coba at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 16:09:28 UTC 2010

El mié, 13-01-2010 a las 09:47 -0600, Chris Muller escribió:
> > Do you mind if I use the WriteBarrier from
> >
> > squeaksource.com/WriteBarrier
>
> The problem, of course, is that someone could post a new version of
> WriteBarrier / BTree that breaks Magma.

Yes, I agree, but I will install the very same versions that you're
using, not the last version that exists in the repository. That is a
feature of Metacello, specify version numbers.

Of course it could happen that the original repository deletes the
version used and that breaks the installation and in this scenario, it
is wise to use the versions copied to the Magma repository.

So, I can use the same versions from the original repositories or from
the Magma repository, you tell me what do you prefer? Personally I
prefer to use the original repository as is cleaner. Also I would like
to add individual metacello configuration for WriteBarrier (that takes
care of its own dependencies, i.e. NewCompiler) and have the Magma
configuration use the WriteBarrier configuration. This way Magma doesn't
even have to know about the dependencies of WriteBarrier but only about
its own dependencies.

> My reasoning has always been that *developers* must take
> responsibility for building an image with correct components anyway.
> Identifying a need to upgrade some of these packages is something a
> developer would need / want to do explicitly, not implicitly.
>
> Perhaps for the "MagmaTester" project, we can reference them from the
> live locations, but for the "Magma" project, they should be static
> versions..?
>
>  - Chris
>

> > (the same versions of course but from the original project) or do you
> > want to use the versions form the Magma repository?
> >
> > Same for Collections-BTree that is on:
> >
> > http://www.squeaksource.com/BTree
> >
> > Cheers
> > --