[squeak-dev] [ANN] Magma 1.1r2

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 20:55:44 UTC 2010

Hi,

>>   'Ma files additions-cmm.13.mcz'.
>
> This is a new package. What other package depends on it?

The #fullBackupTo: method in Magma server uses a MaClientProcess, a
Process-wrapper that can broadcasts its progress, among other things.
MaClientProcess is part of the "Ma contextual search" package, which
depends on "Ma files additions" for its use of the #directoryTreeDo:
method (for something else unrelated to Magma).  The "Ma" suite of
packages do serve several projects, not just Magma, even if some
methods seem to be "unused" from Magma's perspective.

> Why on MagmaTester? I thought that for released versions, they were
> always on Magma repository and that MagmaTester was for your beta and
> not released yet versions, isn't that true anymore?

It is still true.  My objective was to get something out as quickly as
possible to try to accommodate the Pharo release schedule.  I always
start at "Magma tester"  I have now copied them to the other
repository.  Thanks for your continued assistance on the Pharo side of
things.

BTW:  note there is an updated version of Magma tester which removed
an old unused test.

> In repository squeaksource.com/WriteBarrier, there are packages:
>
> WriteBarrier-tbn.28.mcz
> WriteBarrier-cmm.27.mcz
>
> Then in MagmaTester repository there is
>
> WriteBarrier-cmm.28.mcz
>
> and in Magma there is
>
> WriteBarrier-pmm.26.mcz

The correct one to use is WriteBarrier-cmm.28.mcz.  I do not have
update access to the "WriteBarrier" project on SqueakSource.  Perhaps
Phillip will let me have access or copy it there for me?

I had tried to use WriteBarrier-tbn.28.mcz but there were still
underscore assignments in there.  Therefore, since I had to "do some
work" anyway, I went ahead and reverted back to cmm.27, got out the
trusty ol'e FixUnderscores package, since it works and also preserves
the accounting information which, as you know, is important to me.

> So I don't understand either, what is the policy here. Is the package
> modified, and pushed to the original repo (WriteBarrier) and *then*
> copied to MagmaTester and Magma or

The rate of Magma releases has slowed considerably because it has been
stable and I've been working on other projects that employ Magma
lately rather than working very much on Magma itself.  So I might like
at some point to retire "MagmaTester"; delete it.  Feedback is
appreciated.

> I have prepared an update to the configuration of Magma for 1.1r2 with
> the preferences corrected but I would like to have all the packages in
> WriteBarrier and in Magma (that I consider the releases repositories, or
> at least, everything on Magma so that the configuration doesn't refer to
> MagmaTester altogether). What do you think?

OK, I've copied them to "Magma" too.  I will upload the SAR file to
SqueakMap too, soonish.