Magma & Multiple Cores

Udo Schneider udo.schneider at homeaddress.de
Sun Oct 24 16:07:13 UTC 2010

All,

I'm currently thinking about how to scale a Magma based Seaside
Application efficiently. As the majority of requests are read-only the
idea of using Magma HA came to my mind ... thus a few points I'm not
quite sure about.

Multiple Magma Servers on one physical server:
As Squeak/Pharo is not SMP-capable I was thinking of running one server
image per physical CPU core on the DB Server. One of those images would
host the primary while all other images would host read-only
secondaries. As the requests are primarily read-only this should give
(in theory) a more or less linear increase (with cores) in read
performance ... or did I miss something?

Local secondary server on Web frontend server:
Given that the intended webserver machines are quad core I was thinking
of running three seaside images + one secondary magma image on them. The
idea is that a local read-only replica should be much faster to query
than over the network. However I'm not even sure if it is possible for a
MagmaClient to configure preferred servers. My current thinking is start
a remote MagmaSession against the locally running (secondary) Magma
server image. My understanding is that all read requests are handled by
this server then - only write requests will be sent to the primary.

Am I making things much too complicated?

Best Regards,

Udo