[Pharo-project] Networking change in Pharo 1.2?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 15:15:51 UTC 2011

Just bench it:

Before change:

  [ NetNameResolver localHostAddress ] bench   " '34,000 per second.' "

After change:

  [ NetNameResolver localHostAddress ] bench   " '31 per second.' "

In just looking at the reason given for making the change, it says
this is to satisfy an _exceptional_ case; e.g., the case where "no
network connection is available."

Then I look at the new code called by #localHostAddress and becomes obvious why:

isConnected
	"Dirty, but avoids fixing the plugin bug"
	[NetNameResolver addressForName: 'www.esug.org'.] on:
NameLookupFailure do: [:ex| ^false].
	^true

A hard-coded nslookup to 'www.esug.org' wrapped in an exception-handler?  Wow!

If this isn't enough, you can run the Magma test-suite to see the
effect on a real-world networking application.

I recommend Pharo crew revert this change and consider a different approach.

 - Chris