Persisting IdentityDictionary

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 16:28:12 UTC 2011

> So my next question is:  Do you have any plans for a MagmaIdentityDictionary? :)
>
> Basically I need a MagmaCollection where I can use the object as the
> key so I don't have to keep everything in memory.

Well, MagmaCollections themselves are already identity-based; as in,
#includes: anObject.

But you should explain the larger picture of what you're trying to
solve.  What do you need a huge IdentityDictionary for?

>> Beyond that, the idea of Squeak is that it's a modifiable system.
>> This particular aspect of Aida would be easy to improve on if none of
>> the above is satisfactory.  For example, instead of a global
>> Dictionary, a intermediate Broker or Listener could solve this issue.
>> Contribute it back to Janko.
>
> Would you be kind enough to expand on the intermediate Broker/Listener approach?

No.  The point is sufficient, if Aida is forcing a Dictionary API on
you for persistence, you introduce a layer of indirection that fixes
that.  Whatever design pattern you choose is up to you.