Fwd: [ANN] Magma 1.5

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 15:42:16 UTC 2015

I am pleased to announce version 1.5 of Magma for Squeak 5, now
available on SqueakMap.  Magma allows multiple Squeak images to
collaborate on a single, large object model, with the robustness and
control expected from a database.  It offers the most transparent db
access possible for Smalltalk, affording the user the ability to
develop complex, performant designs, iteratively, on-the-fly.

It has been designed for "continuous flow" development, the way
Smalltalkers like and expect to work.  For example, I could have
connections open to 3 separate databases, open transactions in any of
them, and having restructured a class hierarchy in the model, and
stepping through the debugger when that "final boarding call" for my
flight is announced.

Thanks to the image, this scenario has never been a problem for
Smalltalkers and Magma is deliberate to ensure this flow is
maintained.  Once at 10K feet, I can resume stepping through that same
debugger within 5 seconds of restarting the image, DB connections
intact, commit my transactions when I'm ready, done.  Magma handles
every aspect of that use-case correctly even in multi-user
environments, and has so many safety and integrity features, it is the
safest way to develop and keep a model in Squeak.

This release coincides with the release of Squeak 5, and has many
improvements and fixes over Magma 1.4.  Detailed notes about these
improvements are available at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6209.