full isolation

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Fri Mar 4 13:31:55 UTC 2005

On Friday 04 March 2005 2:12 am, goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
> - We use ImageSegments for modules. I have stepped through the
> ImageSegment code a bit to refresh my memory and while some of it can
> probably be cleaned up I think it is a really nice way to go with
> Modules, at least as the primary mechanism - nothing preventing other
> means of loading/constructing a Module of course. This would implicitly
> define a Module to contain objects - not source code. My sketch simply
> means we rip out a bunch of classes/globals in an ImageSegment with some
> extra info with it. So they are already compiled etc, just need to "hook
> them in". Kinda like a ".dll" for Squeak. :)

Note that loading an ImageSegment back into the image it came from, or loading
it twice, will result in multiple objects with the same object identityHash
values.

Not that there aren't collisions ordinarily, of course, but the fact that
these collisions are on objects of the same type as the originals could cause
some performance issues. Just something to think about.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com/squeak/