[Morphic] Re: What is the status of Curvier and target setting fixes

Peace Jerome peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 1 06:29:08 CET 2006

--- Juan Vuletich <jmvsqueak at uolsinectis.com.ar>
wrote:

> Hi Jerome,
>
> How do you like to be called? Jerome, Peace or wiz?

When being addressed personally Jerome will do fine.

When in my role a coder/bug finder wiz is also
appropriate.

> Well, let's go to business. I've been looking at
> your contributions at
> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5768 . You have
> really done a lot of
> stuff for Squeak. Thank you!
>
> 01-Mantis-0504-CurvierMorph
> It seems good, and others have already looked at it.
> However, this cs
> includes many things that go outside the packages I
> can publish:

I have addressed this with a revised cs. Now uploaded
to the
Mantis bug report
http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=504.

See the explanation there. I think you'll find it
publishable now.

> - Collections | SequenceableCollection >>
> polynomialEval:
> - Kernel | Number>>isNonZero
> - Kernel | Object>>basicInspect (removed)
> - Kernel | Object>>beep (removed)
> - Kernel | Object>>beepPrimitive (removed)
> - Kernel | Object>>beep: (removed)
> - Kernel | Object>>break (source same but rev
> changed)
> - Kernel | Object>>contentsGetz: (removed)
> - Kernel | Object>>deprecatedExplanation: (removed)
> - Kernel | Object>>deprecated:explanation: (removed)
> - Kernel | Object>>doIfNotNil: (removed)
> - Kernel | Object>>ifKindOf:thenDo: (removed)
> - Kernel | Object>>inspect (removed)
> - Kernel | Object>>playSoundNamed: (removed)
> I could move Number>>isNonZero to Morphic (as the
> other implementors). But
> you would need to ask for the inclusion of
> SequenceableCollection >>
> polynomialEval: to the maintainers of Collections.
> And you need to ask the
> maintainers of Kernel for all that Object cleanup.
> If you agree, then I
> could publish all the Morphic stuff.
>
> 02-Mantis-0503-TargetSighting

The project is for the older dgd version of 3.9.
What's needed is the cs.  PopupThumbnails is a
work-in-progress not yet finalized for publication.

Let me get a revised cs to you for TargetSigther.  I
can revert to the crosshair cursor instead of the
special targetsight cursor. that should eliminate a
lot of the cross territory stuff. I'll have to look at
the ST80 menu stuff. I'll have to find who owns that
first.

> TargetSighter-wiz.005.pr does not load in 3.9a-6705.
> Is it needed? I believe
> all I should load is PopupThumbnails-wiz.4.cs. Am I
> right?
> It looks ok, but this cs includes many things that
> go outside the packages I
> can publish:
> - Collections | Collection>>roundTo: (removed)
> - Graphics | Cursor (Class definition changed)
> - Graphics | Cursor class>>initialize (changed)
> - Graphics | Cursor class>>initTarget
> - Graphics | Cursor class>>target
> - Graphics | Point class>>fromUserWithCursor:
> - Graphics | Point>>guarded
> - Graphics | Point>>scaleTo:
> - ST80 | CustomMenu>>startUpWithCaption:at:
> - ST80 | CustomMenu>>startUp:withCaption:at:
> Collection>>asKownNameMenu is in new project
> ObjectMenu. Perhaps it could go
> in Morphic?
> As all this is required, we should coordinate the
> publication with the
> maintainers of Graphics and ST80. Could you contact
> them?
>
> 03-Mantis-0652-StarMorph

Stef and Marcus liked this and it was self-contained
enough to get included.

Please do remove the oneMoreVertex, oneLessVertex
routines.  With the skip star code they are pretty
much unnecessary and can lead to frustrating confusion
if used. I believe I did remove them from all senders.
So the risk is minimal but they have no need to be
present.

Kaleido is a wow 'em play-with-me I hope to see in the
3.9full at some point. As you say optional.

> - StarMorph-wiz.21.cs.gz This one seems to be
> loaded, except for the
> removals of StarMorph>>oneLessVertex,
> StarMorph>>oneMoreVertex. Should I
> remove them?
> - Star-wiz.4.mcz Moves StarMorph to a new package
> "Star". I guess this one
> is obsolete, isn't it?
> - Kaleido-wiz.5.mcz Pretty cool, but optional.
>
> 04-Mantis-1015-SnapView

The shift-view key function now provides a vocabulary
menu for the morph. Shift tile also would be a viable
spot for this function and hasn't been taken yet. Lets
claim that then negotiate.

> Very nice! Approved.
>
> 05-Mantis-1771-ClickExerciser
> Cool. Approved.
Excellent.

> 06-Mantis-1625-Thumbnails
> You understand this much better than me. I trust
> you.
I humbly thank you.

> 07-Mantis-1484-TrashHalo
> Great!
>
> 08-Mantis-1454-ArrowPrototypeFix
> This one is already included in
> 01-Mantis-0504-CurvierMorph

Yep

> 09-Mantis-1347-ListDoubleClick
> The only change that goes in a Morphic package here
> is PluggableListMorph >>
> mouseUp:
> I guess I should load and publish it. Do you agree?

YES. That is the best part to change the old version
was really buggy.

> The other changes go to the Tools package. You
> should ask its maintainers.

I will ask them to sign off or find a better fix.

> I will publish new versions of the packages soon. I
> will include:
> 04-Mantis-1015-SnapView
> 05-Mantis-1771-ClickExerciser
> 06-Mantis-1625-Thumbnails
> 07-Mantis-1484-TrashHalo
> 08-Mantis-1454-ArrowPrototypeFix
>
> On the following, I will wait for your answers to my
> comments:
> 01-Mantis-0504-CurvierMorph
 - revised version on mantis should be publishable.

> 02-Mantis-0503-TargetSighting
- stay tuned update coming.

> 03-Mantis-0652-StarMorph

 - remove the unsent methods.

> 09-Mantis-1347-ListDoubleClick
 - Publish the mouseup: fix.

> 02-Mantis-0503-TargetSighting is the only one we
> would need to coordinate
> with other mainainers to publish everything
> together.
>
> After publishing the new versions of the packages, I
> will update Mantis, and
> prepare the new monthly report.
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

Thanks. I appreciate working with someone who is as
good as his word on feedback. And thanks for your
caring and commitment. It inspires effort on the part
of others.

Yours in service -- (wiz) Jerome Peace