[Morphic] Re: Challenges: Maintaining Morphic

Peace Jerome peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 1 01:38:08 UTC 2006

>Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 08:56:05 -0300
>From: Juan Vuletich  wrote:

>Hi Jerome.
>
>You are right: I'm not maintining the Morphic
packages anymore. Why?
>Well, I didn't like what Morphic became, although I
always loved how it
>was when young. So I decided to help clean it. This
was the start of
>MorphicSplitters and later the Morphic team. I did a
first stage of
>splitting Morphic in packages, as you can see in 3.9.
But the second
>stage proved too much work for me. It would take me
many years.
>Literally. So, I lost my faith on that path. I'm
rewriting a small
>Morphic kernel outside the official image (as you
know).

>I lost my main reason for managing the official
Morphic packages.

I just want to say I appreciate all the help you gave
in getting my stuff into 3dot9. I know it was a lot of
time and work and  appreciate the responsibility you
took for the Morphic group and how you carried it out.

>You seem to be pretty interested in fixing and
enhancing the official
>Morphic. In fact, you are the guy who worked more
than anyone else in
>Morphic this year. I find quite natural that you
build the Morphic
>packages. I would be very happy with that.

It is not something my heart tells me to take on.  I
like what I am doing now. Focusing on the small and
the doable and the problems that are interesting to my
curiosity.  The morphic packages are right now too big
to maintain.  As I wrote in my follow up note to Stef,
I believe they can be whittled down over time and the
task made more doable.

It will take more hearts and hands than mine if it is
to happen. Which is one reason for starting this
thread.  Your response and Stef’s passes the first
test.  If I got ignored it would have meant something
different.  Now to see if there is enough energy out
there to take this group in a useful direction.

>WRT MC, all I can say is that right now you have more
knowledge and
>experience with it than I had when the Morphic team
was formed.

Different sets of knowledge.  I took small pieces and
delved into them till I understood them.  I did not
look at the overall shape of morphic.  So we have
brought different sets of knowledge to bear.

Thanks for your help and encouragement.

Yours in service, -- Jerome Peace