[Morphic] Some challenges for the morphic team

Juan Vuletich jmvsqueak at uolsinectis.com.ar
Wed May 17 12:43:23 UTC 2006

Hello Stef.

First of all, let me apologize for the delay in answering. I wasn't sure
what to answer, and I had to think quit a bit about all this.

The Morphic Stewards Team hasn't had much activity recently.

I'm a bit disappointed that after some initial interest, nobody seems to be
interested in my objectives for Morphic anymore. I want to simplify, clean
and remove stuff. But nobody except for me sent any contribution in that
direction. (Except for Edgar. He did send some stuff, that I rejected). And
somehow recently, additional 'Diego's look' stuff got in. And I see people
believing that for Squeak to be 'serious' or something, we need native
widgets or migrate to wxWidgets or such. So my ideas don't seem popular
anymore.

I also believe that we are having serious problems in setting the direction
for Squeak. Even though we all agree we want a small basic image with
optional stuff in SqueakMap, every release gets bigger and bigger. The
community has people with very different interests and it's not easy to
satisfy all of them. And we are failing at setting teams for these different
areas, with the objective of REMOVING their stuff from the basic
distribution, to manage it outside the image. People seem to think that if
something is taken off the image it won't be maintained anymore. I think
this is not true. A package is maintained if and only if some guys with
enough knowledge and interest take care of it, be it in the image or in
SqueakMap.

WRT the development tools and ToolBuilder, I always thought that the
migration of the Morphic tools to ToolBuilder is a task for ToolBuilder
guys, and these tools shouldn't be anymore in a Morphic package or under the
responsibility of Morphic people. Wasn't this the idea?

Perhaps the Morphic Stewards Team needs new people, more in line with what
the community wants.

What I'm feeling inclined to do is to focus on my Morphic cleaning in my 3.7
image where it all began. Perhaps it could evolve into a Squeak Distribution
for programmers, or something like that. the only thing I will really miss
is Traits. But I'm sure I'll be able to load it when it is mature enough for
everyday use (I'm thinking basically of programmer's tools). Or perhaps my
version of Morphic is considered for loading in the official version
sometime. Or even better, we have a really small basic image with no Morphic
on it, and mine is one of the alternatives in SqueakMap.

Cheers,
Juan