[Morphic] Some challenges for the morphic team

Juan Vuletich jmvsqueak at uolsinectis.com.ar
Fri May 19 17:16:52 UTC 2006

Hi Stef,

----- Original Message -----
> but if you do not have that much time, why not contributing in small
> increment
> base to 3.9 :)
>
>> So, if that was the case (of course I don't think so), what we  would be
>> lacking is a means to decide that something is not interesting  anymore,
>> and
>> remove it from the image.
>
> ???

I think these are exactly the issues Cees is talking about in his "Whither
Squeak?"
thread in Squeak-dev: How to maintain a too big system, and how to decide
that something should be removed and forgotten. I totally agree with him.

>> Not at all. I would also miss some small fixes, but not the bigger
>> improvements. It is a matter of personal interests and taste.
>> At my job, I work in VisualSmalltalk. Compared to current Squeak, it
>> is very small. The only thing I really miss there is Morphic and the
>> Method Finder. I really believe in Dan's Personal Mastery principle.
>
> Sure me too.
> But cut from 3.9

I already have some of my new Morphic working. I just want to advance in the
image where I have it. Then It would be loadable in 3.9, or much better the
new 4.0 if we can make it really smaller.

> Sure this is not want I meant.
> But if you fix bugs in 3.7 because you will face it. Then may be we  will
> not
> be able to use them.

If I find bugs in Morphic, those fixes won't be applicable to the old
Morphic. If I fix bugs elsewhere, I will publish them.

> Would be good :) but lot of work?

Yes, but the kind of work I really enjoy. I've spent a lot of hours thinking
about this. I met Tim and Craig on 2003 and told them about these ideas. I
will spend time on this for the next couple of years for sure. But this is
what I think Squeak needs to be good for application development (and not
native widgets, cool look out of the box, or any of that). Therefore
(instead of complaining on sqDev), I will implement what I need. And I'm
writting a commercial application in Squeak. Currently, I only have some
ideas, but something I really need is support for a good UI.

Cheers,
Juan